Supported Independent Living (SIL)

Let's talk

The Cara Connect Team is here for you. Talk to us about how Cara can work with you.

Phone 08 8347 4588



What is it?


Accommodation is your home and your place to live. Under the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS), you can receive funding which supports you to live your life.

The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) keeps housing and support funding separate. Your housing funding is the physical place where you live, as in your house or apartment. Your support funding goes towards staffing and support workers to assist you.

Cara provides support and staff to help you. This is called Supported Independent Living (SIL). Cara is a registered NDIS SIL provider.


How does it work?


The actual house or apartment where you choose to live is up to you. It might be provided by Housing SA, private landlords or a community housing association, including Access 2 Place, Unity Housing, Julia Farr Housing and Bedford. You might own your own home or apartment.

You, as the tenant, sign the rental agreement with the housing provider. Cara provides the staff to support you and works with your housing provider where needed.


Cara supports people living in spaces like:


Traditional share houses, or group homes 

A new brick home with a rendered front wall, garden beds with trees and gate at the side. Image credit: Rossdale Homes.

You share a house with other people who also have disabilities. You have your own room and sometimes your own bathroom. You share living spaces and outdoor areas.  There is a staff bedroom in the house, too.

Image credit: Rossdale Homes


Cluster site accommodation

A group of units viewed from the street. They are charcoal brick with green trees out the front.

This is a group of units on one site. You have your own unit with your own bedroom, kitchen, bathroom and courtyard or backyard. There is a staff unit on the same site.


Concierge apartments

The Woodville West apartments shown at dusk, viewed from across the road. Image credit: Renewal SA.

These are a number of apartments dotted throughout a complex at Woodville West. Cara has a “concierge” apartment in the same building and concierge staff can support you remotely to control the lights, air conditioner and open the apartment door if you wish.

Image credit: Renewal SA


Cara can also work with you if you have or are buying your own property or to help find housemates if you have room in your family home. Cara supports children and adults with Supported Independent Living across Adelaide and all over South Australia.  


Want to know more?

Please contact the Cara Connect Team on:

Telephone: 08 8347 4588

SHARE: Facebook Twitter LinkedIn